Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Someone lied



Incoming rant...... be warned.

Caution: what you are about to read is not pointing fingers at my parents nor is it pointing at my teachers nor extended family members. Any such views perceived Or otherwise fathomed is as a result of your ever active over-zealous mind.
Please proceed... or not...if you fall into any of the above group enlisted in above paragraph.
Now brothers and sisters, turn with me to the book of lamentations. Are you there somebody?


                                                            Someone lied.

Somewhere along my path, someone lied.


Someone lied at my infancy bed.  They said females have a smooth sailing. All you have to do preen and smile and everything falls at your feet. You don’t have to read as much as the men ‘cos, you get married at 23 to a rich man and all you do is bear him kids and keep him happy. Someone lied. Or was I stubborn?

Someone lied when I hit puberty. I was told my budding breasts where beautiful and I should stop hiding it behind layers of clothing...my brothers said they looked like cork-stoppers.lol. I was told that my monthly flow was a thing of pride. Haahahahahhahaha! I still dunno if that is a lie. I think females should have another sign instead of bleeding for 3days. (gist for another time).

Someone lied while I was filling my jamb form. “be a doctor”, they said, “doctors are rich”. Best decision of my life so far I must say. However, someone lied. Or perhaps, twas a half truth. Doctors in Nigeria are far from rich. They only get by. Except you put in extra extra extra effort. Irrespective of sex, the average doctor just get by rent, school fees and miscellaneous. Just scratches by. Believe it or not. All you see na wash.

Someone lied when I was in med school. I (as well as every other female med student) was told, “your selling point is in the sky. Wealthy stinkingly rich gods will line up in front of your father’s house. Begging to marry you. You will beat them off with a stick”. Behold, another lie. We are just like the next girl on the street. If not worse...cos people assume “leave am oooo...her eye they for up...na doctor”.
Someone said I’ll take vacations 3ce a year. Lol. Who does that even???! Lol! So the new iphone 6+ is out and some celebrity has smashed 2 of hers already ehhh kwa? And I'm here working 8am to 8am with my “no shoes”.  Odiegwu.
   
Me, I have my own needs oooohhh, if I start mentioning now, people will say I'm vain. There are many things I want to do and places I want to go... vain or not! I plan to do them all. This life is only one.  My gender wont stop me; neither will labels nor myopic minds.
Nothing is set in stone as to how anything can germinate and grow. Labels do not make you nor should it make you. Speaking for myself, I live to shock myself into being bigger and better.

IF YOUR DREAMS DON’T SCARE YOU, THEN YOU HAVEN’T STARTED DREAMING YET...can’t place source

Do not fool yourself... No one lied. You can be what you choose to be.







tuddles...

13 comments: